Breast cancer is the second most common cancer in women living in the United States, second only to skin cancer. At Southeast Peninsula Radiation Oncology Center, we're proud to help patients throughout Juneau and greater Alaska fight breast cancer and other cancer conditions with radiation treatment, but we also want to be an educational resource for people everywhere. We believe education is a vital part of the fight against cancer, and learning the risk factors of breast cancer can help raise awareness and possibly lower risk in some individuals.
What Are the Risk Factors for Breast Cancer?
As with many cancers, the exact causes of breast cancer aren't fully understood. Instead, research has uncovered a number of risk factors – variables that increase the chances of developing cancer over the course of their lifetime. Some of the core risk factors for breast cancer include:
- Being Female: While this may seem obvious, the truth is that breast cancer can affect
both men and women – but it's much more common for women. As a woman, you have a higher risk for breast cancer than any other cancer besides skin
- Genetics: One of the most significant factors is genetics. A family history of breast
cancer, as well as specific heritable genes, significantly raise your risk of breast cancer. For those with a familial history of breast cancer,
it’s important to be be proactive and get tested at a younger age.
- Exposure to Radiation: If your chest was treated with radiation when you were younger, you have a higher risk of breast cancer.
- Alcohol: Drinking alcohol – even moderate consumption – increases the risk of breast cancer. Limiting your consumption will undoubtedly improve your health, and reduce risk for other conditions as well.
- Obesity: People who are obese have a higher risk of breast cancer. Therefore, it’s very important to maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle, with regular exercise and nutrient-rich meals.
Questions About Breast Cancer?
While these risk factors may increase the likelihood of someone developing cancer over the course of their lifetime, they don't guarantee that someone will or will not get cancer. However, if you are diagnosed with breast cancer or any other condition, Southeast Radiation Oncology Center can help. We've aided many men and women throughout Alaska fight cancer through radiation therapy treatment, and we'd love to do the same for you.
Contact us today to learn more or schedule a consultation at our Juneau, AK center.